Why Research Matters
The statistics are disturbing:
- Every week in Canada there are one or two spousal homicides.
- In Alberta in 2005, 40 per cent of all murders were domestic related homicides.
- Police are called to domestic incidents every day.
- Common assault is the most frequent type of spousal violence, followed by major assault, uttering threats and criminal harassment or stalking.
- The vast majority of incidents of violence across Canada – 78 per cent – are never even reported.
Only by better understanding the cycle of violence can we begin to try to end it.